Home Catastrophes Not Covered By Your Standard Insurance

People often buy property insurance policies thinking that everything will be covered.  Frankly, that is just not the case.  Below is a listing of the types of things that are not standard on a property insurance policy.  Some of these coverage types can be purchased separately or as added coverage.  It is best to consult with your insurance professional to find out how you can buy the best insurance coverage for your exact situation.

Catastrophes That Are Not Covered

1. Floods

Flood damage is omitted under standard homeowners and tenants insurance policies. Flood coverage, nevertheless, is offered through a separate policy both from the National Flood Insurance Program – NFIP (888-379-9531) and from a few personal insurance companies.

You can get replacement cost coverage for the structure of your home. However, just real cash value coverage is available for your possessions. There might likewise be limits on coverage for furnishings and other belongings stored in your basement.

Flood insurance is offered for tenants along with homeowners. You will need flood insurance if you live in a designated flood zone. However likewise consider buying it if your house might be flooded by melting snow, an overrunning creek or water diminishing a steep hill. Don’t wait till the night news reveals a flood season cautioning to buy a policy. There is a 30-day waiting duration before federal flood coverage works.

2. Earthquakes

Earthquake coverage can be a different policy or an endorsement to your homeowners or tenants policy. It is offered by a lot of insurance providers. In California, it is also offered from the California Earthquake Authority. In earthquake susceptible states like California, the policy comes with a high deductible.

3. Upkeep damage

It is your responsibility to take affordable preventative measures to secure your home from damage. Your insurance policy will not cover damage due to lack of maintenance, mold, termite infestation and invasion from other bugs.


Sewer backups or the inability of sump pumps to deal with runoff water from significant downpours are not covered under a standard homeowners insurance coverage, nor are they covered by flood insurance. Those kinds of coverage should be acquired either as a different item or as an endorsement to a homeowners policy.”

Drain backup coverage is offered from a lot of insurance companies for a small expense. It is generally going to run you an additional yearly premium of $40 to $50.

Numerous homeowners might not understand that they are responsible for the upkeep and repair work of their home or sewage system lateral– the pipeline in between the city sanitary drain main, usually found on the street– and the structure. The sewage system lateral is owned and preserved by the homeowner consisting of any part that extends into the street or public right.

Chris Anderson is known for owning the best Allstate agency in Albuquerque and is the contributor of this article.